"Erasmus Mundus is a cooperation and mobility programme in the field of higher education for:
- Overall objectives of the European Commission Programme called "Erasmus Mundus" (from the "Erasmus Mundus 2009-2013 Programme Guide", European Commission):
- the enhancement of quality in European higher education;
- the promotion of the European Union as a centre of excellence in learning around the world;the promotion of intercultural understanding through cooperation with third countries as well as for the development of third countries in the field of higher education.
- The programme's aim is to promote European higher education, to help improve and enhance the career prospects of students and to promote intercultural understanding through cooperation with third countries, in accordance with EU external policy objectives in order to contribute to the sustainable development of third countries in the field of higher education.The programme's specific objectives are:
- to promote structured cooperation between higher education institutions and an offer of enhanced quality in higher education with a distinct European added value, attractive both within the European Union and beyond its borders, with a view to creating centres of excellence;
- to contribute to the mutual enrichment of societies by developing the qualifications of women/men so that they possess appropriate skills, particularly as regards the labour market, and are open-minded and internationally experienced through promoting mobility for the most talented students and academics from third countries to obtain qualifications and/or experience in the European Union and for the most talented European students and academics towards third countries;
- to contribute towards the development of human resources and the international cooperation capacity of higher education institutions in third countries through increased mobility streams between the European Union and third countries;
- to improve accessibility and enhance the profile and visibility of European higher education in the world as well as its attractiveness for third-country nationals and citizens of the European Union.
- Action 2 – Erasmus Mundus Partnerships (former External Cooperation Windows):
Erasmus Mundus Partnerships aim at promoting institutional cooperation and mobility activities between Europe and third-country Higher Education Institutions (HEIs). This Action is built on the previous EU programme External Cooperation Window (2006-2008) with a wider geographical coverage, a larger scope and differentiated objectives.
- Action 2 provides:
- Support for the establishment of cooperation partnerships between European HEIs and HEIs from targeted third countries/territories with the objective of organising and implementing structured individual mobility arrangements between the European and the third-country/territories partners.
- Scholarships of various lengths - depending on the priorities defined for the third countries/territories concerned, the level of studies or the particular arrangements agreed within the partnership - for European and third-country/territory individuals (students, scholars, researchers, professionals).
- Contrary to the other Erasmus Mundus Actions (Actions 1 and 3), which are funded from the budget of the European Union allocated to the education activities, Action 2 activities are funded by different financial instruments available in the context of the external relations activities of the Union (i.e. the European Neighbourhood and Partnership Instrument, the Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance, the Development Cooperation Instrument, the European Development Fund and the Industrialised Countries Instrument).
- Because of the diversity in the policy objectives covered by these financial instruments, but also due to the different needs and priorities of the third countries concerned, Action 2 implementation rules may vary considerably from one year to another and from one partner country to another."
Last Updated on Thursday, 06 September 2012 17:17